Monday, December 21, 2009

Reuben Tam - American 1916-1991




I have recently "discovered" the abstract landscape expressionist paintings of Reuben Tam. Although born (and died) in Hawaii he spent much of his life painting and exhibiting in New England & the eastern US.

He was a beloved teacher at The Brooklyn Museum Art School, where he encouraged his landscape students to explore the geology beneath as well as the topography of the land. Another lovely pairing of science & art.

It has been difficult finding information and images...if anyone has other sources, please let me know. I will be looking for him in museum collections; Met, Whitney, Brooklyn in NY; Lowe in Miami, Smithsonian in DC, Farnsworth, Reading (PA) and San Diego.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Dear Rodrica:
What can I do to get you into my gallery? I love your work, and I will even lower my rates? I really would love exhibit your work, I understand I am a new little gallery, but I am a hard worker, and will do what I can!
www.philiphonegallery.com
Your biggest fan! Caroline

Unknown said...

Aloha Rodrica,
Reuben Tam was my mother's younger brother. I was four years old when I first met him. He came back to Kau'ai in the summer of '49 after he'd gotten his Guggenheim Fellowship. My dad died when I was seven and Reuben became a special mentor for me, even into my adulthood. I remember going to visit him on Monhegen Island in 1972 and stayed about a week with him and Aunt Gerry. I'm 65 now, but Reuben remains a major impact on my life. Because of him and his younger brother Harvey, I fell in love with photography and it became my life-long passion and career. Thank you for your kind words about Reuben's extraordinary talent. We still miss him a lot and he will always be a part of our lives. Mahalo nui loa, William M.C. Ing
willpix@gmail.com

Popular Posts